Today's Top Stories - September 23, 2014
SILVER BULLET AWARD: To Walgreens Pharmacist who used his concealed weapon to break up an armed robbery. He was fired, however, for opening fire on the robbers More
SILVER BULLET AWARD: To Chicago woman who used her weapon to hold intruder, wanted in connection with several thefts, at gunpoint for police More
SILVER BULLET AWARD: To OK mom who used a 12-guage pump shotgun given her as a mother’s day present to shoot a would-be intruder to protect herself and her daughter More
GUNS! We have virtually no power to regulate gun sales out of homes, Arlington leaders say More
GUNS! How Common Are School Shootings? MoreSOMETHING ELSE FOR THE GOVERNMENT TO MISMANAGE AND CORRUPT
CONGRESS TO PUSH INTERNET SALES TAX in Lame-Duck Session After November Elections: Perhaps you will want to get Senator Warner's, his opposition Ed Gillespie, and Scott Rigell or your representative's position, as well as that of their opponents, on the issue before the election. It's your money; and it's your vote MoreWETBACK UPDATE …
11 Million Illegal aliens Keep Illegally Granted, Taxpayer-Funded, Health Care Coverage While Obama Bunch Drags Its Feet: “The Obama administration is bending over backwards to give Obamacare to illegal immigrants but won’t protect hardworking American citizens who are losing their health care coverage,” charges LA Senator David Vitter. “The Obama administration has been granting deadline extensions, making excuses and turning a blind eye to falsified documents by illegal immigrants,” he added. “Enough is enough..." MoreIRS-GATE SCANDAL UPDATE …
Why Americans Should Be Concerned About The IRS and Political Bias More
Trey Gowdy's questioning of Asst. Secretary of State for Diplomatic Security Gregory Starr on Sept. 17, 2014 reveals more evidence that Obama and Hillary refused security and lied about it specifically to protect the 2012 re-election campaign from the truth of disintegrating policies and conditions in Libya. There is no other conclusion.
An important point here is that Hillary had said they were depending on LOCAL FORCES of the HOST NATION to provide security when they pulled out Nordstrom's 16-man security detachment in August 2012.
Ironically, an ARB report regarding embassy security, FROM 1999 NO LESS, stressed the importance of constant coordination with the government of a host nation on any responsibilities for security of US embassies.
Editor: Obama claims ISIS is not Islamic precisely because of their brutality. To the contrary, the horrendous videos of civilian executions being broadcast are proof of their Qur'anic fundamentalism. Surah 8:55 & 57 makes clear that even non-combatants are fair game in order to spread fear:
"Assuredly, the worst of beasts in Allah's sight are the ungrateful who will not believe... If you come on them in the war, deal with them so as to strike fear in those who are behind them, that perhaps they may remember." (quoted verbatim from The Glorious Qur'an, a translation in their own words distributed by Muslims in English-speaking countries)
"The aim of The Glorious Qur'an is to present to English readers what Muslims the world over hold to be the meaning of the words of the Qur'an."
Ira White - Portsmouth VA
by Dr. Christine Chmura, President and Chief Economist, Chumura Economics and Analytics
A lot has been made about the hollowing out of America, also called "job polarization" by economists.
It happened during the recession when the employment in mid-wage occupations declined by a larger number than lower-wage or higher-wage occupations dropped.
Since the recovery began, job growth has been lagging Click to read rest of the story
New Study Highlights Financial Health of Hospitals
by the Thomas Jefferson Institute
In a new study released today, the Thomas Jefferson Institute shows the financial health of the hospitals in Virginia. The study may be found here:
"The financial health of the hospitals has become an issue because the hospitals have weighed in on the Medicaid expansion debate saying they need these federal dollars" writes Michael Thompson, President of the Thomas Jefferson Institute, who compiled the numbers and wrote this report.
Using the profit/loss and net worth numbers as reported on the Virginia Hospital Information website, the Jefferson Institute's report shows that most hospitals are doing very well, while a relatively few seem to be in "financial strife."
Do you ever call a tech and can’t understand what they are saying? Or is your income not keeping up with rising prices. Or you can’t find goods that have been made in America?
The trade pact NAFTA has contributed to all of these things. It has led to lower wages, job losses, outsourcing, and even a loss of American sovereignty.
Trade pacts such as NAFTA are regional arrangements that are foreign governing bodies that take control over not just trade but also regulations that have nothing to do with trade.
By Jim Bacon
When remarking upon disparities in educational outcomes, most pundits focus on the racial/ethnic gap between Asians and whites on the one hand and blacks and Hispanics on the other. That's no surprise, given the distressing size of the gap and the dismal implications of that gap for the prospects for forging a society in which every child has an equal shot at succeeding in life. But there's another gap, not quite as large, but equally pervasive -- the gender gap. Girls out-perform boys academically across the board. Combine the gender gap with the ethnic/racial gap, and that spells very bad news for the upcoming generation of black males.
To examine the dimensions of this gap, I used Virginia's awesome "SOL Assessment Build a Table" tool that allows users to take a deep dive into the data. I compared male vs female pass and fail rates on reading, writing, history, math and science SOLs across all schools and grades, then broke down the gender disparities by racial/ethnic group to see if the disparities were worse for some groups than others Read rest of the story Read More.
VNS columnist John Kuchta Jr., AKA Captain Crawdad, writes an interesting piece on the Wall Street Journal - the most widely circulated newspaper in the nation - calling out Obama for the half-black, half-white in competent politician in the nation’s history that he is.
“A ‘deadly’ article,” Kuchta said. Read rest of the story by clicking Read More below:
And in another scathing piece, Kuchta writes:
By golly, when Janet Napalitano told us years ago that the southern border was safer than it had ever been, I believed her!
Janet was the type of woman who was almost Thatcher-esq if you overlooked her lack of integrity, lack of knowledge of her job and slavish devotion to The Kenyan. Liberals liked her because she liked little girls…”. Read rest of his column by clicking Read More below
- Nonsurgical Treatments Suggested for Women's Urinary Incontinence
- Infertility: Ten Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Infertility
- Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS)
- Co-Workers Take Dim View of Women Who Seek Flex Time: Study
- Women Over 75 May Benefit From Mammograms
- Yeast Infection (in Women and Men)
- J&J Pulls Hysterectomy Tool Tied to Cancer Risk From Market
- calcium carbonate, Caltrate 600, Os-Cal 500, Tums Extra, Tums Chewy Delight, and Many Others
- Early Hormone Therapy May Be Safe for Women's Hearts
- Female Triathletes May Face Health Problems Such as Incontinence
- Will Illinois be 17th state to decriminalize marijuana? Rahm Emanuel in favor.
- Truth can’t be put down
- 'Historic' drop in federal inmates comes as left and right find common ground
- US airstrikes against the Islamic State in Syria: Can they be effective?
- Congress out of session does not mean Congress isn't working
- Up to 1.4 million Africans could be infected with Ebola by 2015, US officials say
- Islamic State: Lebanon's own hostage crisis mirrors Western predicament
- Big-screen TVs: Deals from Vizio, Panasonic, and more
- Afghanistan's Karzai blasts US on way out of office
- Soda companies pledge 20 percent calorie cut by 2025. Is it too late?
- Airstrikes alone may not defeat Sunni militants
- Obama opens a new front against al-Qaida
- Obama urges world to follow US lead on climate
- US warns that Ebola could infect 1.4 million
- Suspect charged in case of missing UVa student
- Fire destroys Michael Brown memorial in Ferguson
- Palestinians seek $3.8B in aid for Gaza
- Arkansas cowers under Senate advertising barrage
- Pastor: UPS gunman was 'troubled' over work
- Could Jeter be the first with perfect Hall vote?
- Philomena Lee Follows Her Movie's Footsteps in Washington
- After Construction, Keystone XL Will Only Support 50 Jobs, Report Says
- Box May Have Filed Secretly for Initial Public Offering
- More States Seek to Repeal Common Core
- Hold On to the Thin Mints, CookieCott 2014 Encourages Conservatives to Stay Away from Girl...
- Kirsten Gillibrand Slams Sexual Assault Panel's Decision on Commander's Role
- With Bruno Mars' Halftime Show, Has the Super Bowl Finally Gotten Over Nipplegate?
- State Department Keystone Pipeline Report Finds Little Impact on Carbon Emissions
- Another Cruise Ship Docks Early After Gastrointestinal Outbreak
- New Peanut Therapy Alters DNA
- August 21, 2014 (Investigation Announcement): Multistate Outbreak of Salmonella Braenderup Infections Linked to Nut Butter...
- August 20, 2014 (Final Update) Outbreak of Human Salmonella Cotham and Salmonella Kisarawe Infections...
- August 13, 2014 (Final Update) Multistate Outbreak of Salmonella Infections Linked to Organic Sprouted Chia...
- August 8, 2014 (Investigation Update) Multistate Outbreak of Human Salmonella Infantis and Salmonella Newport Infections...
- July 31, 2014 (Final Update): Multistate Outbreak of Multidrug-Resistant Salmonella Heidelberg Infections Linked to Foster...
- July 17, 2014 (Investigation Update) Multistate Outbreak of Salmonella Infections Linked to Organic Sprouted Chia...
- July 8, 2014 (Recall Update) Multistate Outbreak of Salmonella Infections Linked to Organic Sprouted Chia...
- Recall, Case Count & Investigation Update: Multistate Outbreak of Multidrug-Resistant Salmonella Heidelberg Infections Linked to...
- July 1, 2014 (Recall Update) Multistate Outbreak of Salmonella Infections Linked to Organic Sprouted Chia...
- June 27, 2014 (Investigation Update) Multistate Outbreak of Human Salmonella Infantis and Salmonella Newport Infections...
- Best Money-Saving Tips From Top Personal Finance Bloggers
- Fabulous Freebies 2014
- New Reverse Mortgage Rules Protect Younger Spouses
- 17 Best Things to Buy This Fall
- 10 Fall Travel Destinations That Are on Sale
- Watch Out for Senior Money Moments
- 9 Overlooked Credit-Card Perks
- 7 Great Stocks for the Next 15 Years
- Why It Pays to Join the Company Wellness Program
- The Starting Out Guide to Cheap International Travel
- December 11, 2013 [Final Update]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157:H7 Infections Linked...
- Initial Announcement: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157:H7 Infections Linked to Ready-to-Eat Salads
- May 30, 2013 [Final Update]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O121 Infections Linked...
- May 10, 2013 [Investigative Update]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O121 Infections Linked...
- April 26, 2013 [Investigative Update]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O121 Infections Linked...
- April 5, 2013 [Investigative Update]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O121 Infections Linked...
- March 29, 2013 [Initial Announcement]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O121 Infections Linked...
- December 10, 2012 [Final Announcement]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga Toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157:H7 Infections
- November 17, 2012 [Initial Announcement]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga Toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157:H7 Infections
- July 20, 2012 (Final Update): Multistate Outbreak of Shiga Toxin-producing Escherichia coli O145 Infections