Most citizens of Virginia Beach have historically ignored city council elections and have basically ignored city government. Except for the last city council election, which coincided with a national election, about 17% of registered voters in Virginia Beach bothered to vote each year. The percentage of all citizens is even less that 17% because not all are registered to vote.
Think about that for just a moment – 83% (and more) of the citizens of Virginia Beach don’t vote and haven’t the foggiest idea about city council decision-making.
Our Virginia Beach City Council will continue to fund many major projects by borrowing money to build those projects and pass the exorbitant debt do you and your family. You and your family will pay higher real estate taxes, fees and other taxes to pay the debt.
But you, the citizens of Virginia Beach, will continue to sit by and allow council to spend as they desire while you remain quiescent.
Why do you, an intelligent citizen, seemingly pay no attention to our city government? Below are several potential reasons why you have remained silent and uninvolved in your own government
1. I am happy to pay increasing real estate taxes and other fees and taxes for whatever purposes council decides.
2. I believe that tourism makes lots of money for Virginia Beach so it’s okay to spend money on major projects.
3. I am not informed and do not know whether tourism is a good economic engine for Virginia Beach or not.
4. I do not understand the comment that us taxpayers are subsidizing tourism – meaning subsidizing the hotel owners, restaurant and retail shop owners at the oceanfront.
5. I am too busy to follow details on a regular basis and need someone to explain the city projects and especially the return on investment for each project and for all the projects in total.
6. I just don’t give a “bleep” anyway.
7. So my kids get screwed paying the massive debt for the next 20 to 30 years, but I still don’t give a “bleep.“
Where do you fit? Which reasons apply to you? Are you uninformed about your city government, but would like to know more? Do you try, but don’t have the time? Or do you really chose to ignore your own future in Virginia Beach? Are one of those who do not give a “bleep?”
So, what’s your excuse?