Our U.S. Constitution defines what the federal government is authorized to do, including maintain a navy which is needed to protect the landlocked states. But, a federal standing army was not authorized. Why? Because each state had its own militia.
The Second Amendment states “A well-regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”
“Free state” refers to the sovereignty of individual states. Not only was the citizen militia to protect the states against a foreign power, but against any federal forces as well. Well armed citizens performed exercises keeping ready at a moment’s notice.
A 33 YO Beach dirtbag has been charged with felony animal cruelty after animal control discovered a little 5-month old puppy, so badly abused and injured, it had to be euthanized after examination by a vet. The man was identified as John James Schultz III, 33, of the 3600 block of Sea Gull Road.
Animal control said two additional adult canines were removed from the home during the investigation and are being cared for at the Virginia Beach Animal Care and Adoption Center.
The case remains under investigation.
Just a quick note to compliment your cartoonist, Mr. Marks. He is outstandingly spot on when it comes to targeting national issues. Don’t know where he’s from, but it would be great if he turn some of his biting humor on local Tidewater, Virginia topics and issues.
But guess we can’t have everything. Please pass on my compliments.
Frank Jackson - Virginia Beach
NOT NO, but HELL NO!
$500 million of your grandchildrens’ debt to “moderate” Syrian Islamists? How much of that will boomerang into Democratic Party coffers? I don’t know, what’s the standard Chicago kickback percentage? 20-25% ?I wonder how our fine Virginia US Congressional delegation will vote on the latest idiocy from Obama?
In particular, how will Virginia’s Second Congressional District Congressman Scott Rigell vote? Will a “Yes” vote get Rigell another ride on Air Force One?
The Islamists are all just animals with RPG’s. Period.
Will Eric Holder consider my last statement to be a “Hate Crime?”
Gee, I hope so. I’d love to take the stand in my defense in front of a Federal judge for about four hours enumerating the acts of treason against this country by Holder and Obama. Make that five hours.
Click here for rest of Kuchta's rant: http://www.virginianewssource.com/jpk/
If you are still unconvinced that Obama is a Sunni Muslim, how else do you explain him urging that Israel show restraint in the wake of the slaughter of three teens, one a US citizen? I have a better idea, oh, great Kenyan-in-Chief. How about you quit supplying Muslim Jihadists with cash and weapons in Syria? Yeah, that might have a settling effect on the Middle East; but, that's not your intention, is it Obama?
Obama calls for Israel to show restraint? Netanyahu should begin a systematic bulldozing of Palestinian settlements into the sea. Plant a few date and olive trees and call it good.
What to do with the Palestinians? Let the Saudis take them in. You reckon that would happen? Click here for link:
John P. Kuchta Jr. - Virginia Beach
by Larry Henry, VNS Columnist
In 1975 I was a hard drinking, woman-chasing, home builder living the good life in Atlanta, Georgia.
Then Uncle Sam “lost” the Vietnam War. Having served in the Marine Corps I suspected something was screwy so I began to read and study the conflict.
I believed in many things when I was a naive 37 year old youngster. I believed in Democrats and Republicans, I believed in Lady Liberty, and I believed in Washington, DC. I was deaf, dumb and blind about politics.
The more I studied Vietnam the more it led me back to Washington and the LBJ White House. And the more I studied Capitol Hill, the more I came to dislike politicians.
Nixon was indicted, Carter came along then Ronald Reagan became our president. I believed in Ronald Reagan, I still do.
- Nonsurgical Treatments Suggested for Women's Urinary Incontinence
- Infertility: Ten Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Infertility
- Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS)
- Co-Workers Take Dim View of Women Who Seek Flex Time: Study
- Women Over 75 May Benefit From Mammograms
- Yeast Infection (in Women and Men)
- J&J Pulls Hysterectomy Tool Tied to Cancer Risk From Market
- calcium carbonate, Caltrate 600, Os-Cal 500, Tums Extra, Tums Chewy Delight, and Many Others
- Early Hormone Therapy May Be Safe for Women's Hearts
- Female Triathletes May Face Health Problems Such as Incontinence
- NFL's Arizona Cardinals move quickly to deactivate Jonathan Dwyer after arrest
- Convictions reversed for two men in 1992 kidnapping case
- National Cheeseburger Day is here: 20 ways to celebrate
- Why NATO ally Turkey won't fight with US against Islamic State
- For Scottish shipbuilders, is the choice independence or employment?
- Air Force allows atheists to skip oath to God
- Housing starts plunge in August. Weak wages to blame?
- The 'new Detroit' has a decidedly Mexican accent
- Police study videos in search for missing Virginia college student
- As Boko Haram tries to capture a capital, how prepared is Nigeria's Army?
- Scots decide whether to declare independence
- A guide to Scotland as it votes on independence
- Australian police: Raids thwarted beheading plot
- Senate next after House backs Obama on rebel aid
- APNewsBreak: Border Patrol to test wearing cameras
- California wildfire shows explosive growth
- Doctor: Ford to undergo 40 days of chemotherapy
- Police trooper killed in ambush to be laid to rest
- Review: Devices, apps act like one under iOS 8
- Cardinals quick to deactivate Dwyer after arrest
- Philomena Lee Follows Her Movie's Footsteps in Washington
- After Construction, Keystone XL Will Only Support 50 Jobs, Report Says
- Box May Have Filed Secretly for Initial Public Offering
- More States Seek to Repeal Common Core
- Hold On to the Thin Mints, CookieCott 2014 Encourages Conservatives to Stay Away from Girl...
- Kirsten Gillibrand Slams Sexual Assault Panel's Decision on Commander's Role
- With Bruno Mars' Halftime Show, Has the Super Bowl Finally Gotten Over Nipplegate?
- State Department Keystone Pipeline Report Finds Little Impact on Carbon Emissions
- Another Cruise Ship Docks Early After Gastrointestinal Outbreak
- New Peanut Therapy Alters DNA
- August 21, 2014 (Investigation Announcement): Multistate Outbreak of Salmonella Braenderup Infections Linked to Nut Butter...
- August 20, 2014 (Final Update) Outbreak of Human Salmonella Cotham and Salmonella Kisarawe Infections...
- August 13, 2014 (Final Update) Multistate Outbreak of Salmonella Infections Linked to Organic Sprouted Chia...
- August 8, 2014 (Investigation Update) Multistate Outbreak of Human Salmonella Infantis and Salmonella Newport Infections...
- July 31, 2014 (Final Update): Multistate Outbreak of Multidrug-Resistant Salmonella Heidelberg Infections Linked to Foster...
- July 17, 2014 (Investigation Update) Multistate Outbreak of Salmonella Infections Linked to Organic Sprouted Chia...
- July 8, 2014 (Recall Update) Multistate Outbreak of Salmonella Infections Linked to Organic Sprouted Chia...
- Recall, Case Count & Investigation Update: Multistate Outbreak of Multidrug-Resistant Salmonella Heidelberg Infections Linked to...
- July 1, 2014 (Recall Update) Multistate Outbreak of Salmonella Infections Linked to Organic Sprouted Chia...
- June 27, 2014 (Investigation Update) Multistate Outbreak of Human Salmonella Infantis and Salmonella Newport Infections...
- 25 Stocks to Buy Now
- The Best Loans to Pay Down First
- How to Haggle for Practically Anything
- 3 Chinese Stocks That Are Better Bargains than Alibaba
- How to Earn More or Survive on Less
- All the Things Thomas Pikkety Got Wrong
- Bargain or Trap?
- 10 Best Jobs You Can Get Without a College Degree
- 5 Best Low-Cost Mutual Funds
- 8 Ways to Beat Rising Food Prices
- December 11, 2013 [Final Update]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157:H7 Infections Linked...
- Initial Announcement: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157:H7 Infections Linked to Ready-to-Eat Salads
- May 30, 2013 [Final Update]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O121 Infections Linked...
- May 10, 2013 [Investigative Update]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O121 Infections Linked...
- April 26, 2013 [Investigative Update]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O121 Infections Linked...
- April 5, 2013 [Investigative Update]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O121 Infections Linked...
- March 29, 2013 [Initial Announcement]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O121 Infections Linked...
- December 10, 2012 [Final Announcement]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga Toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157:H7 Infections
- November 17, 2012 [Initial Announcement]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga Toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157:H7 Infections
- July 20, 2012 (Final Update): Multistate Outbreak of Shiga Toxin-producing Escherichia coli O145 Infections