by Bill in Tennessee
Having grown up in the 1950s and 60s, I was witness to the Civil Rights marches, the Vietnam protests, and just about every kind of protest known to man, or so I thought at the time. The Vietnam War protests did something I'm sure the protesters didn't intend... I joined the Marine Corps along with my brother, to serve my country. Just as our dad had done in WWII, he was a Navy corpsman with the Marines in the South Pacific.
The Civil Rights protests started out to gain equal opportunity for minorities...it ended up in the very unequal Affirmative Action laws and LBJ turning minorities into a special project that goes on to this day.
But the protest that got my attention today is the strange one going on (yes, again) in Ferguson, MO. Protests no longer seem to be about noble causes like ending war (fat chance!) or equal rights; today they seem to be about goofballs that ended up at the wrong end of a gun through their own bad and/or stupid decisions.
By Larry Henry - VNS Columnist
Here’s what happened while you were sleeping January 1st. These taxes were all passed in Obama’s Affordable Care Act aka Obamacare.
Medicare went from 1.45% to 2.35%.
Top Income bracket went from 35% to 39.6%.
Top Income Payroll tax went from 37.4% to 52.2%
Capital Gains went from 15% to 28%
Dividend tax went from 15% to 39.6%
Estate tax went from 0% to 55%.
Plus a 3.5% Real Estate transaction tax was added.
By Ira White
VNS Contributor - Portsmouth
BY ITS REAL NAME
We've all heard the phrase "Don't shoot the messenger."
Unfortunately there's been a lot of that going on recently, mostly by activists and their lawyers. They shoot messengers for hanging the US flag outside their homes, displaying the 10 Commandments on public property, sticking In God We Trust banners on police cars, or speaking as pastors and military chaplains about morality and sin. To name a few. Problem is those good people didn't make this stuff up... they're just the messengers.
Fact is the liberal and legal combatants can't shoot a heritage and song about The Star-Spangled Banner, the best-selling book in the world, a national motto stamped on our currency and government buildings, or the profound teachings of a guy named Jesus.
by John P. Kuchta Jr.
I sent the following letter registered to Mayor Will Sessoms:
21 July 15 Registered
Mayor Will Sessoms
Ref: Priorities of You and the VB City Council
Dear Mr. Mayor:
I spoke on two different occasions this past Spring as you and the VB City Council sat and heard arguments for and against funding for light rail cars in your budget in the amount of $21 million.
I stressed the fact that we are in an undeclared state of war against radical Islam and they have struck too many times to mention; but, the attack last week in Chattanooga helps drive home the point that I have been stressing: Do we need light rail when all our schools are wide open to anyone with a weapon who cares to walk through the front doors? How about our beaches, malls, churches and synagogues? Have the attacks on Tunisian beaches not driven the point home for you and the city council? I have copied my latest remarks to city council below in an effort to help show you the utter folly of your stance.
“Yesterday morning, I was warmly welcomed at two elementary schools near my home in VB. I am puzzled how sniper teams can be positioned atop tall buildings on military bases located all over our city due to Force Protection Condition “Bravo,” yet, it was possible for me and anyone else to walk right in to our schools.
In America one can rise above one's birth and circumstances, but you can't rise above your level of intelligence. Kerry seems to have been born lucky, and married lucky, but beyond that seems to have not one single mitigating, socially redeemable trait. The Moron Cycle of Life:
This "Moron Cycle of Life" is killing America.
Thus endeth the lesson.
by Larry Henry
Are you caught out in the storm?
76% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck. 14.5% live below the poverty level. Our recession never ended. Both parties are to blame. President Obama covets socialism. Boehner and McConnell covet power and wealth.
John Kerry’s 4 months in Vietnam was a bad joke. Three purple hearts for minor injuries brought on by his personal incompetence. Kerry shot civilians. He lied before Congress about Vietnam, about himself, and about Jane Fonda. They were a disgrace in 1968. They’re both a disgrace still today.
I have sent the following letter to my congressmen regarding the criminal activity of Planned Parenthood, and urge others to do the same. It is also interesting to note that all Republican congressmen list "Abortion" as a subject (required) when sending correspondence, but no Democrat does; they list only "Women's Issues" or "Reproductive Health". The smokescreen is conspicuous.
Dear Senator or Representative,
I have watched almost three hours of undercover interviews in their full context conducted with Dr. Deborah Nucatola and Dr. Mary Gatter, and it is clear by the admission of these two PPFA executives that at least two federal crimes were committed:
1. Prices were haggled by both for the sale of fetal specimens, and Dr. Gatter even indicated that she would research the highest values by other PP affiliates in order to maximize that price. It is clear that set or listed prices by a particular affiliate for collection, maintenance, delivery, etc. would not involve haggling or researching the "highest price" of other affiliates. Selling fetal specimens is a crime under federal law.
by John P. Kuchta Jr.
We have suffered another humiliating attack at the hands of one (or more) of the human / animal hybrids espousing a religious theology that condones violence against women and pedophilia, among other quirks, like beheadings.
Supposedly standing between us and these animals is our fabled FBI and NSA.
Where were these agencies as the shooters hatched their plots in Fort Hood, the Washington Navy Yard, Garland, TX, and Chattanooga?
Wait a minute. Did the FBI know that Major Nidal Hasan was in email communication with a radical sheik in Yemen who was later killed with a drone?
Yes, as a matter of fact they did knew all about that communication. Did 13 people die as Hasan climbed on top a table, shouted 'Allahu Akbar' and pulled the trigger repeatedly? [Click Read More below for rest of the column]
- Beach Council should withdraw approval of moque in the city
- No Light Rail - Tell City Council
- Trojans, Beavers and other names of sports teams that are offensive
- The Liberal Mind: The Psychological Causes of Political Madness
- Visiting Disney after being hit by a big dog!
- Reform for Better Health Care
- How to Do Breast Self-Exams
- risedronate, Actonel, Atelvia
- Sex May Boost Female Immune System to Aid Fertility
- Hormone Replacement May Protect Women's Kidneys, Study Suggests
- Bone Density Scan: Who Should Get One
- Uterine Growths
- Video Games May Make Women Pile Up More Than Points
- Computer-Aided Mammograms May Not Be Worth the Cost: Study
- MRIs Before Breast Cancer Surgery on the Rise: Study
- Antidepressants Top Treatment Choice for Severe PMS: Researchers
- Cleveland case shows how body cameras can help police
- Disturbing 'drunk' driving live video prompts surprising response
- Could office buildings that store power help fight climate change?
- Twenty-two websites that will pay you to write for them
- Jennifer Lawrence gives up on finding an 'adorable' way to fight wage gap
- Why Joe Biden is smart to sit out first Democratic debate
- Spectacular Hubble photo: A bright galaxy holds a hidden secret
- How Brazil curbed Amazon deforestation by 90 percent in 10 years
- Russian embassy in Syria attacked during pro-Assad rally
- Are college athletic programs responsible for tuition hikes?
- Clinton seeks to move past email woes in Democratic debate
- Dutch probe: Buk missile downed Malaysian jet in Ukraine
- Palestinians assailants often leave behind ordinary lives
- US draws a line on protecting CIA-backed rebels in Syria
- AP Exclusive: Clinton email server setup risked intrusions
- Top beer makers to join forces to face industry challenges
- California's sweeping new social policies could set trend
- Less skin: Playboy to stop running pictures of nude women
- Jamaica's Marlon James wins Booker Prize for fiction
- Appreciation: Spurrier changed the game, did things his way
- Philomena Lee Follows Her Movie's Footsteps in Washington
- After Construction, Keystone XL Will Only Support 50 Jobs, Report Says
- Box May Have Filed Secretly for Initial Public Offering
- More States Seek to Repeal Common Core
- Hold On to the Thin Mints, CookieCott 2014 Encourages Conservatives to Stay Away from Girl...
- Kirsten Gillibrand Slams Sexual Assault Panel's Decision on Commander's Role
- With Bruno Mars' Halftime Show, Has the Super Bowl Finally Gotten Over Nipplegate?
- State Department Keystone Pipeline Report Finds Little Impact on Carbon Emissions
- Another Cruise Ship Docks Early After Gastrointestinal Outbreak
- New Peanut Therapy Alters DNA
- How to Avoid the Big Hike in Medicare Premiums in 2016
- Best Things to Buy on Jet.com
- Protect Your Bonds in Today's Low-Yield Environment
- Best Fidelity Funds for Your 401(k)
- 4 Stocks to Buy Ahead of the Fed Rate Hike
- 4 Investing Rules to Live By
- 4 Stock-Picking Techniques for a Nasty Market
- How to Be a Better Investor in Today's Market
- Tax Breaks and Rebates for Energy-Efficient Home Improvements
- 7 Things You Need to Know About Shopping Site Jet.com