by Chris Braunlich, vice president of the Thomas Jefferson Institute for Public Policy
and a member of the Virginia State Board of Education.
In 2007, the Virginia General Assembly replaced one eighth-grade social studies Standards of Learning (SOL) exam with three required middle school SOL tests. In 2009, Virginia's state superintendent proposed eliminating the third-grade social studies SOL exam, but backed off after opposition from members of the General Assembly.
My. What a difference a couple of years make.
Today, more than 15 bills are under consideration by Virginia's legislature to "reform" the SOLs. Some proposals, such as eliminating certain tests in the elementary grades when the focus should be on reading and math, have an educational justification. Others, such as requiring SOL assessments to be finalized well in advance of their administration, lean towards ensuring greater fairness.
by Sue Long, North, VA
Is a convention a good Idea ?
Many good patriots have given a Convention of the States (COS) a thumbs up, trusting the promoters without further consideration. But, more study results in serious concerns.
What Article V of our Constitution actually says is: “The Congress,… on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments,…” In other words, it is Congress that calls for a convention. The only thing the states have the authority to do is to apply to Congress to call a convention.
Is Saudi/Terrorist Cash Buying Off National Political Scruntiny!
by John P. Kuchta Jr.
Besides deciding that he wanted to destroy the country that had sheltered him for a number of years, this would-be NC jihadist had not yet come to the conclusion that the safest way to conduct Muslim jihad is to work your plan for destruction of the infidels through a US, Saudi-sponsored mosque.
All those Saudi-sourced campaign contributions to our political class produce what is essentially a "get-out-of-jail-free" card for the mosques.
This North Carolinian is what I call one of the "onezies and twozies" of jihadists sought-out by the FBI for their anti-terror photo ops.
A PERSONAL LETTER ADDRESSING THE UNCONSTITUTIONAL ABORTION MANDATE
Dear: (Senator or Representative),
The 1st Amendment to the US Constitution states:
"Congress shall make no law...prohibiting the free exercise [of religion]."
I am a law-abiding US citizen, and a believer in Judeo-Christian values and related pro-life issues. As such, I affirm that abortion-on-demand is by far the prominent moral issue in our nation, and my primary voting concern is whether or not a political leader supports it.
by John P. Kuchta Jr.
If you think that Chris Christie is a Jersey tough guy who would fight a buzz saw for Mom, the flag and apple pie, read the following essay about Christie inviting an admitted member of Hamas and the Muslim Brotherhood to an Iftar dinner. Once there, Christie praised the man profusely and denigrated those (like me) who can tell a stick from a snake.
Having been raised in south Louisiana in a family active in politics, I understand when politicians do things that seem to make no sense to the average guy; but, back in the good old days, politicians didn't pander to special interests who wanted to take down the United States of America.
Did south Louisiana politicians take money from the Mafia? You bet. The Mafia in the 1960's in New Orleans was a very powerful, well heeled campaign contributor. The Muslim Brotherhood and Hamas make La Costra Nostra look like a pacifist offshoot of the Boy Scouts.
by Larry Henry
Contact Larry by email at:
So there I was an escapee for one precious evening, away from all the lies and BS fostered on me and my countrymen by the Left, the Socialists, the Communists, and Commander Zero.
There was no radio, no TV, no internet to expose my gray-haired noggin to all the slander of our beloved Lady Liberty, and dear ole Uncle Sam. I was free for an hour, the USMC protector of the realm, our nation, on rode the six hundred.
Then, Wham-O! A retired UT professor sat down beside me at the Holiday Inn where I was attacking a pile of fried chicken legs, plus a tasty salad topped with blue cheese dressing.
Richard regaled me about the pious professors at UT who preach Marxism, despise America, while living like kings and queens off the backs of us “evil” Capitalists. I was agog, aghast, and slightly upset in the tummy region due to all the blue cheese dressing.
Right in our own backyard!
A bastion of liberalism at our revered Tennessee University, our Big Orange, the home of Old Smokey, traitors and dipsticks living among us. Why Lord? Why are we Americans assailed at every turn by people who don’t like us, our way of life, people who in fact couldn’t survive on their own without Capitalism, and all of us pushing their cart for them?
Socialism must go, Commander Zero must go, that disgusting Congressional Progressive Caucus must go, and that malicious Harridan who haunts my dreams, Nancy Pelosi.
Argh! What a nightmare! You too, Harry Reid, and you, Maxine Waters – no more speeches about how America is bad.
You people are bad, you Henry Waxman, and you Chuck Schumer. And take that moronic John Kerry with you!
I finished my fried chicken … on rode the six hundred.
by John P. Kuchta Jr.
I'm not the only one calling the FBI inept and corrupt! Or, is that corrupt and inept? I forget! See This Link:
The FBI has grown so corrupt that the only effective solution is to break-up the FBI and fund the 50 states' bureaus. Keep the crime labs and profilers centralized.
Anybody recognize how much the United States of America looks like a third world republic? We have:
* State sponsored surveillance of ALL our citizens.
* Use of federal agencies like the EPA and IRS to enforce the desires of the executive branch.
* Unequal enforcement under the law as in the case of the IRS and conservative Tea party groups.
* Law enforcement agencies such as the ATF and DoJ consorting directly with Mexican drug cartels to promote curtailment of our Second Amendment rights. One weapons sale resulted in the death of US Border Agent Brian Terry.
Mr. Chris Braunlich writes that we should consider granting in-state college tuition to the children of illegal immigrants. Sadly, once again we have a liberal whispering sweet words into the ears of taxpaying citizens while picking their pockets. Firstly, what part of illegal does he and his liberal friends not understand?
Granting in-state tuition to the children of illegal (there's that word again) immigrants merely encourages continued behavior of that nature. Who foots the bill? The taxpaying citizens of the Commonwealth.
- Washington’s Fifth Column - America needs revolutionary change
- Are Southern Baptists Russian Terrorist or why is FBI involved?
- Language used in the "immigration wars" has been rough
- Lee Remembrance Service, January 19th,
- Is a Revolution Now the Only Answer?
- Same sex marriage & morality debate not an isolated one
Quote OF THE DAY
"Liberals rely on bait-and-switch tactics because they fear the results of describing their agenda clearly and candidly to voters, who can’t handle the truth. Even an elementary truth, such as the proposition that improving health care will cost money rather than save money, must be denied over and over, lest don’t-tread-on-me rubes start asking awkward questions about how much improving health care is going to cost and where the money will come from. Once a policy such as Obamacare is enacted and implemented, making the switch means admitting the obvious, and then claiming it’s so obvious — “everyone always knew” it would cost money and disrupt existing health-care arrangements — that it doesn’t really qualify as a switch. The villains in this story are not the liberals who spoke incontestable untruths when political circumstances called for telling people what they wanted to hear. The villains are conservatives who complain about the deceits by commission and omission."
~ William Voegeli, Senior Editor, Claremont Review of Books
- Mom who drove into ocean sees bail set at $1.2 million
- Obama talks Crimea solutions in phone calls with world leaders
- Victoria Azarenka: An unexpected exit at Indian Wells
- Mariano Rivera's latest 'save' is a church
- Libya threatens to bomb North Korea oil tanker
- Venezuelan protests continue, while government celebrates diplomatic victory
- Missing Maryland girl found safe, father charged with murder
- Israel to display Iranian ship in hope of derailing talks with West
- Newsweek marks comeback with controversial bitcoin story
- Forgotten but not gone: The long-term fiscal Imbalance
- Oil slicks spotted in hunt for jet with 239 aboard
- Why Malaysia Airlines jet might have disappeared
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Crimea's new leader, a man with a murky past
- AP Exclusive: Counties undermine prison efforts
- At 50, landmark libel case relevant in digital age
- Domestic violence cases spark protests in Lebanon
- Stern Israeli airport security measures questioned
- South Africa: Mandela comrade stays in the game
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Philomena Lee Follows Her Movie's Footsteps in Washington
- After Construction, Keystone XL Will Only Support 50 Jobs, Report Says
- Box May Have Filed Secretly for Initial Public Offering
- More States Seek to Repeal Common Core
- Hold On to the Thin Mints, CookieCott 2014 Encourages Conservatives to Stay Away from Girl...
- Kirsten Gillibrand Slams Sexual Assault Panel's Decision on Commander's Role
- With Bruno Mars' Halftime Show, Has the Super Bowl Finally Gotten Over Nipplegate?
- State Department Keystone Pipeline Report Finds Little Impact on Carbon Emissions
- Another Cruise Ship Docks Early After Gastrointestinal Outbreak
- New Peanut Therapy Alters DNA
- March 3, 2014 (Investigation Update): Multistate Outbreak of Multidrug-Resistant Salmonella Heidelberg Infections Linked to Foster...
- February 24, 2014 (Final Update) Outbreak of Salmonella Heidelberg Infections Linked to Tyson Brand Mechanically...
- January 31, 2014 (Final Update) Multistate Outbreak of Salmonella Stanley Infections Linked to Raw Cashew...
- January 24, 2014 (Investigation Update) Outbreak of Salmonella Heidelberg Infections Linked to Tyson Brand Mechanically...
- January 16, 2014 (Investigation Update): Multistate Outbreak of Multidrug-Resistant Salmonella Heidelberg Infections Linked to Foster...
- January 14, 2014 (Investigation Announcement) Outbreak of Salmonella Heidelberg Infections Linked to Tyson Brand Mechanically...
- January 3, 2014 (Investigation Announcement) Multistate Outbreak of Salmonella Stanley Infections Linked to Raw Cashew...
- December 19, 2013 (Investigation Update): Multistate Outbreak of Multidrug-Resistant Salmonella Heidelberg Infections Linked to Foster...
- August 19, 2013 (Investigation Update) Multistate Outbreak of Human Salmonella Typhimurium Infections Linked to Live...
- August 9, 2013 (Investigation Update) Multistate Outbreak of Human Salmonella Typhimurium Infections Linked to Live...
- Fabulous Freebies 2014
- Delaying Your IRA Minimum Distribution
- Great Mutual Funds for Young Investors
- Advice on Spending Less From Around the Web
- Signing Up for Commuter Benefits
- Wanted: Bubble Detector
- More Jobs for New Grads in 2014
- 4 Bond Portfolios for More Income, Less Risk
- Higher Earners Will Pay More Taxes This Spring
- 6 Great Mutual Funds That Benefit From Small Portfolios
- December 11, 2013 [Final Update]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157:H7 Infections Linked...
- Initial Announcement: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157:H7 Infections Linked to Ready-to-Eat Salads
- May 30, 2013 [Final Update]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O121 Infections Linked...
- May 10, 2013 [Investigative Update]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O121 Infections Linked...
- April 26, 2013 [Investigative Update]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O121 Infections Linked...
- April 5, 2013 [Investigative Update]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O121 Infections Linked...
- March 29, 2013 [Initial Announcement]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O121 Infections Linked...
- December 10, 2012 [Final Announcement]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga Toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157:H7 Infections
- November 17, 2012 [Initial Announcement]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga Toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157:H7 Infections
- July 20, 2012 (Final Update): Multistate Outbreak of Shiga Toxin-producing Escherichia coli O145 Infections