By Ben Krause
Special to VNS
[Mr. Krause worked as a special contractor officer for the State Department rebuilding program for Iraq. Among other things he oversaw construction of prisons and training of police.]
The United States and the Coalition Forces, together with many other volunteers have tried to help Iraq make a transition from a dictatorship to a new form of government that will be decided by the Iraqis. The press predominately reports only bad news and there are even advocates for the U.S. “losing” in Iraq. Regardless of the outcome, it will be said that many people tried to help Iraq by giving their life, time, talents and treasure.
Regardless of the reasons for invading Iraq, history will determine whether it was a good idea or not. There is no question that Saddam was evil, wasted those opposed to him and squandered the national treasure. Once the U.S. became responsible for the operation of the country, many mistakes were made. The U.S. does not often conduct such operations and is not normally organized to take a country from a dictatorship to a democracy or other similar elected types of government. The resulting effort displayed all the problems of stovepipe organizations, lack of overall coordination, not including the Iraqis in construction/reconstruction planning and execution, etc.
Given all these challenges, some of the shining lights were and are the people who volunteered to help in Iraq, including Iraqis who put their life on the line for positive actions. I am familiar with a few. I know there are thousands more. Each helping, positive action is part of history, each effort no matter how small deserves recognition and, from first hand experience, the positive actions made and are making a difference.
You might recall the peaceful demonstrations of the Iranian people several years back. They were shot in the streets by the leadership, but how would the landscape have changed if they had succeeded in overthrowing the government? Very little because in the Muslim culture, the people are not the power.
The truth is, there is no such thing as anarchy. Whenever people have succeeded in overthrowing a government, the most powerful coalition moves in to fill the void. Consider Iran, Libya, Egypt, Syria, and Saudi Arabia. Then think Shiite (Iran), Sunni (Libya & Egypt), Alawite (Syria), and Wahabi (Saudi Arabia). These are the power groups, and they are all brutal, intolerant, and determined. It does not matter who wins because none fight for democracy – they fight for theocratic control.
It is time Americans, and our government, acknowledge that this is the problem with "freedom fighting" in the Islamic regions. It is not freedom fighting at all, but simply replacing one militant and tyrannical ideology for another. They have little interest in equality, a popular vote, or a democratic form of government. It is obvious that any such trends, including those encouraged in Iraq and Afghanistan, are merely charades within a culture that has been firmly indoctrinated under Islamic rule: "Fight against those...who do not believe in Allah nor the Last Day; who do not forbid what Allah and His messenger have forbidden, and who do not adopt the religion of truth until they pay the tribute out of hand, utterly subdued." (Surah 9:29)
Islam is designed as a political power, not just a religion. Unlike New Testament evangelism, Muhammad's example was conquest, not merely conversion. Hence the term "utterly subdued", and his well-documented massacre of 900 Jews in Medina who rejected his authority. Muhammad also made peace treaties to stall for time until he was sufficiently positioned to overcome his enemies. Does that tactic sound familiar when it comes to the PLO, Hezbollah, and Hamas?
Finally, look at the results of our past efforts in Iran and Egypt with the Shah and Mubarrak. Maybe it aided our access to oil for a time, but that also distracted us from pursuing energy independence. Maybe it calmed down some tensions with Israel, but that was a peace short-lived. It ultimately provided opportunities for powerful factions to position themselves for conquest, especially the Muslim Brotherhood which has become predominant throughout the region. Their goal is a unification of Islamic nations under Sharia law against all other nations and religions. This is their manifest destiny: the global caliphate.
The only reasonable course in foreign policy is to distance ourselves from the internal conflicts of such cultures and prepare for the coming cataclysm. We should definitely not be equipping any of them with weapons to eventually turn against us (as has often been the case), or funding them with subsidies to their tenacious crusades. Remember, it was our nation's founders who affirmed that our system of government and culture can only succeed with a people of morality, education, and biblical values – all severely lacking in the ruthless Muslim countries. We will either prevail by our values, or yield to their alternatives. Let us focus our resolve on the destiny of America and Israel, and leave the barbaric sects to fight among themselves.
Ira White - Portsmouth
As a concerned citizen, I have no interest in every sordid aspect of "Bambi"s brief life. Since the allegations about her and Scott Taylor do not appear to have any basis in reality, will you PLEASE stop dwelling on this?
Frankly, given the nature of Larry Sinclair's book on Soetoro/Obama, I am exasperated over this local "scandal."
Even if these allegations are true, which they do not appear to be, they are not a matter of national security. It IS a matter of national security whether the present inhabitant of the White House is a sodomite and drug addict because he can be blackmailed
That's what you should be writing about.
P.S. Thank you for your obit of Howard Phillips. He was a guest on my radio program and a friend. Whenever we discussed pre-term infants, he reminded me that the 5th Amendment to the Bill of RIghts states that "No person shall be executed for a capital crime without due process of law." He said that since the fetus is a person, abortion is a federal issue. He was the first US politician to offer a realistic plan to end abortion.
This story is how the deal to try to destroy the political career of GOP 85th District House Candidate Scott Taylor went down, based on recorded on-the-record conversations with all people involved.
An attempt to use forged Facebook archived documents from a Peninsula woman's account - we're calling her Bambi - to destroy the political career of former SEAL and Fox News Analyst Taylor by political operatives of an opponent has apparently backfired because the validity of the documents cannot be independently verified.
In fact a full digital forensic investigation by a top computer firm plainly states, "The .png files are not of genuine origin. All indications are that a drawing application was used to paste together multiple images, erase content and modify text. These findings are verified utilizing multiple accepted digital forensic tools."
The fact that the documents purporting to show a drug and sex party relationship between Bambi and Taylor that were distributed to the media cannot be reproduced or replicated, according to Kyle Adams who obtained the documents and brought them to the media and Gary Byler's campaign.
Taylor is running as a Republican for the vacated 85th District House of Delegates seat of veteran Bob Tata. His main GOP opponent is longtime GOP activist and former 2nd District GOP chairman Gary Byler.
Bill Dale, the Democrat candidate for the 85th called Taylor and told him he'd been offered the information on the fake Facebook documents 'by some woman he didn't know' for $500. He said he deleted it from his email.
The political power match has strongly divided an already GOP in the race. A lot of old-liners associated with Byler strongly oppose Taylor. Taylor has a lot of support, including that of the man he is seeking to replace, and other conservatives
it seems that the 'archived' Facebook file of Bambi was accessed (not be her), copied, pasted in another document and manipulated to appear as though certain conversations between the woman and Scott Taylor, discussing a sex and drug party hookup, had actually been published on her public Facebook pages. They had not been published publicly as alleged. And in the end there's no evidence they are anything but bogus.
The faked exchanges began back in August of last year and continued until recently, according to the documents, Adams was hawking.
To the Editor.
He was born in Boston, MA in 1941 and was Jewish by birth converting to Christianity in adulthood. I mention that because he was a man of faith, and his faith was extremely important to him. He attended and graduated from Harvard University, where he served as the President of the student Council for two terms, and he was present with William Buckley Jr. at the meeting that resulted in the birth of Young Americans for Freedom.
In the 1960’s he was selected as the Chairman of the Boston Republican Committee and held several positions in the administration of President Nixon. The last position was that of Acting Director of the Office of Economic Opportunity. President Nixon had offered him that position and he had accepted it with the understanding that he would dismantle the agency. With Watergate and a suit by Democrats to stop the elimination of an agency that Congress created, President Nixon backed down and Howard Phillips resigned rather than oversee a government agency that he saw as wasteful and wanted to disestablish. One of the things that I admired about him was that he was a man of principle.
During the last two decades of his life, Howard Phillips was instrumental in the creation of the U.S. Taxpayers Party, which in 1999 was rebranded the Constitution Party. He was their Presidential candidate in 1992, 1996, and in 2000.
Among the coverage report on his passing, the best quote that I have seen came from Arthur L. “Art” Harman, who was both a friend and a staffer to Howard who said “…Howard Phillips has been called "Tea Party before the Tea Party…”.
As far as his legacy, I cannot say it any better, but just to give just one example back in 1978; Howard Phillips was calling for the passage of a constitutional amendment to establish a Federal spending limit long before concerns about deficits and the National Debt.
I will save my last few words for the Howard Phillips that I knew. He was a nationally known conservative, and the first time that I contacted his office about a since forgotten issue, they didn’t ask for a contribution or pass me to an assistant, but connected me directly to Mr. Phillips.
His first order of business was to tell me to call him Howard. At the conclusion of our conversation, he invited me to drop by his office the next time that I was in Northern Virginia.
As I was getting ready to leave, Howard asked me if I had had lunch, and he ended up inviting me out to lunch, where our discussion continued. Over the years he provided me with much advice and insight on politics and even gave me an opportunity to manage a campaign.
One of the things we spoke about was having him come down to Hampton Roads to speak. I had what I thought was a great tie-in for him to make the trip, but with his schedule and eventually health issues, and my lack of success with the tie-in (a long story that I don’t want to get into for this column) it unfortunately never happened.
As I said, I was privileged and honored to have known Howard Phillips. He gave me much valuable advice and encouragement over the years.
Three individuals with ties to 85th House District GOP candidate, Gary Byler, for the seat being vacated by veteran Bob Tata have attempted to torpedo the candidacy of former SEAL and Fox News Analyst Scott Taylor with phony sex and drug allegations.
According to faked Facebook data provided Virginia News Source by 3 political operatives, 2 directly tied to Byler's campaign, Scott tried to set up a drug and sex party with a Peninsula woman, we'll call Bambi, in the Westin Hotel at Town Center the night of his campaign opening.
The documents of Facebook conversations exist, but are modified to appear real but they aren't. They are faked versions.
Byler told VNS Thursday he knew nothing about the campaign tactics which may constitute a federal or state crime. He acknowledged that two of the three individuals involved were campaign workers.
Taylor has contacted the FBI, calling the act a crime.
The data came from a third party, Peninsula political operative Kyle Adams, who admitted he brought the data to one of Byler's campaign officials, Gerry Scimeca. Scimeca has been paid $8,000 by Byler's campaign. Byler said Scimeca is a 'graphic designer.' Scimeca said he is a consultant and not a graphic designer
Taylor said Byler lied to him because he had called and told him about the smear tactics about two weeks earlier.
Although the documents tied Bambi to Taylor, Bambi told VNS she'd never met Taylor. Had never seen Taylor. Had never spoken to Taylor. And had sent him only one email attempt to contact him, unrelated to the more recent actions of the Byler operatives.
Taylor said the same thing: Never heard of her, never knew her, never talked to her and only responded to one public comment from her on Facebook - asking her to identify herself.
by John P.Kuchta Jr.
Boston Bombing - Alharbi
Let’s go over some of the key points in the tragedy of the Boston bombings:
Several interesting things were immediately discovered. One was that Alharbi was on a “No Fly List,” but was allowed to enter the country anyway on a special “VIP” exemption, usually reserved for heads of state. And, a previous “Event” file existed on this man. Curiously, nobody could find that file.
4. On Wednesday, after Secretary of State John Kerry met with the Saudi Foreign Minister and Obama met with both the Saudi Foreign Minister and the Saudi Ambassador to the United States, “someone” altered the Alharbi file to remove the “212 3b” designation.
- Syria got weapons of mass destruction from Iraq and Ben Krause knows
- Virginia Beach government is a cesspool of corruption
- Tidewater's monopoly media one-sided in holding Congress accountable
- The FBI? Somebody blew the terrorism deal!
- What the mainstream censors from American view
- JACK UP THE TAX! Raise Virginia Beach Real Estate Tax To $3.00 Per $100 Assessed Value
- Texsport Recalls Cedar Lake Heater/Cookers Due to Fire Hazard
- Stride Rite Recalls Girl’s Sandals Due to Choking Hazard
- Salsa Cycles Recalls Bicycle Forks Due to Fall Hazard
- Country Life Recalls Target-Mins Iron Supplement Bottles Due to Lack of Child-Resistant Packaging
- Philips Recalls Metal Halide Lamps Due to Fire, Laceration Hazards
- Gerber Recalls Machetes with Stitched Sheaths Due to Laceration Hazard
- IKEA Recalls LYDA Jumbo Coffee/Tea Cups Due to Burn Hazard
- DiveAlert Emergency Signaling Devices Recalled by Ideations Due to Drowning Hazard
- Fred Meyer Recalls “Chicken Dance” Easter Chicks Due to Hearing Damage Hazard
- Teavana Recalls Glass Tea Tumblers Due To Laceration and Burn Hazards
- New Silicone Breast Implants Approved
- Women Better at Remembering Faces, Study Finds
- Pent-Up Stress Could Harm Health of Middle-Aged Women
- Can You Skip Antibiotics for Urinary Tract Infection?
- Childhood Abuse Tied to Food Addiction in Women: Study
- Women's Weight-Loss Surgery May Benefit Later Offspring
- Women Less Likely to Get Trauma Center Care After Injury: Study
- Breast Self Exam
- Procedure for Incontinence in Women May Lose Effectiveness With Time
- Angelina Jolie Has Preventative Double Mastectomy
- Modern technology finds the lost city of Mahendraparvata
- Kate Middleton's royal baby might be worth $400 million (to the British economy)
- Revolutionary technique lets scientists 'see' with sound – underwater
- Kate Spade and eBay roll out a miracle of modern shopping
- Poisoned N.J. flight: Ranting man restrained by passengers
- N.J. flight: Man yells he'll be poisoned. Gets tackled, bound.
- Utah church shooting: 'Evil will not prevail,' says priest
- Should you cheer on Abenomics?
- Supreme Court: For right to remain silent, a suspect must speak
- NASA's new astronaut class marks changing of guard for US spaceflight
- Seeking a Syria consensus despite US-Russia divide
- Obama: NSA secret data gathering 'transparent'
- Court: Ariz. citizenship proof law illegal
- Military plans would put women in most combat jobs
- Rowhani's 'path of moderation' also shows limits
- Still no Hoffa after 1st day of latest search
- Ex-hitman: I was heartbroken Bulger was informant
- Airborne laser reveals city under Cambodian earth
- Chrysler expected to formally refuse Jeep recall
- Bruins beat Blackhawks 2-0, lead Cup finals 2-1
- General Atomics to Sell Unarmed Predator Drones to Foreign Countries
- Report: US Drops in High School, College Grad Rates
- TRAILER: Martin Scorsese's 'Wolf of Wall Street' Starring Leonardo DiCaprio
- West Virginia Senator Joe Manchin Fights Back Against Gun Groups Unhappy With His Support of...
- Hoffa Family 'Forced to Relive the Loss' as FBI Agents Excavate Michigan Field
- FBI Makes 500th Addition to Most Wanted Fugitives List
- Ted Cruz Vows to Offer Immigration Amendment in Reaction to Court's Arizona Decision
- Snowden: Obama's 'Draconian' Response Only Makes Better Hackers
- Supreme Court Ruling Will Make it Harder to Impose Mandatory Minimums on Drug Offenders
- Drone Strikes on American Citizens Banned in New Defense Bill Amendment
- June 14, 2013 (Final Update) Multistate Outbreak of Human Salmonella Typhimurium Infections Linked to Hedgehogs
- (Investigation Update) Multistate Outbreak of Human Salmonella Typhimurium Infections Linked to Live Poultry
- (Investigation Update) Multistate Outbreaks of Human Salmonella Infections Linked to Live Poultry
- May 24, 2013 (Investigation Update): Eight Multistate Outbreaks of Human Salmonella Infections Linked to Small...
- May 22, 2013 (Investigation Announcement) Multistate Outbreak of Salmonella Montevideo and Salmonella Mbandaka Infections Linked...
- (Investigation Update) Multistate Outbreak of Human Salmonella Typhimurium Infections Linked to Live Poultry
- (Investigation Update) Multistate Outbreak of Human Salmonella Infantis and Salmonella Mbandaka Infections Linked to Live...
- May 8, 2013 (Investigation Update) Multistate Outbreak of Salmonella Saintpaul Infections Linked to Imported Cucumbers
- (Investigation Announcement) Multistate Outbreaks of Human Salmonella Infections Linked to Live Poultry
- (Investigation Announcement) Multistate Outbreak of Salmonella Saintpaul Infections Linked to Imported Cucumbers
- Secret Government Snooping Will Stay Mostly Secret
- Rocky Times for Developing Markets
- Don't Toss Your Tax Returns
- How to Raise Your Child's Financial IQ
- Create Your Own Summer Camp for Less
- New Online Tool Reveals What Hospitals Charge
- Economics 101
- 4 Annuity Mistakes to Avoid
- Father's Day Advice From Around the Web
- No Reason to Fear a Housing Bubble
- May 30, 2013 [Final Update]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O121 Infections Linked...
- May 10, 2013 [Investigative Update]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O121 Infections Linked...
- April 26, 2013 [Investigative Update]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O121 Infections Linked...
- April 5, 2013 [Investigative Update]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O121 Infections Linked...
- March 29, 2013 [Initial Announcement]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O121 Infections Linked...
- December 10, 2012 [Final Announcement]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga Toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157:H7 Infections
- November 17, 2012 [Initial Announcement]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga Toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157:H7 Infections
- July 20, 2012 (Final Update): Multistate Outbreak of Shiga Toxin-producing Escherichia coli O145 Infections
- June 22, 2012 (Investigation Update): Multistate Outbreak of Shiga Toxin-producing Escherichia coli O145 Infections
- June 10, 2012 [Initial Announcement]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga Toxin-producing Escherichia coli O145 Infections
- Toxic Workplace Friends
- Coping In A Toxic Work Environment
- 7 Management Practices That Can Improve Employee Productivity
- Researchers Begin To Flesh Out The Red Meat-Type 2 Diabetes Connection
- 5 Transitions Great Leaders Make That Average Leaders Don't
- Eight Ways Goofing Off Can Make You More Productive
- 9 Tips For Boosting Productivity At Work This Summer
- What Marie Forleo Taught Me About Selling My Soul
- Twenty Female Entrepreneurs To Follow On Twitter
- QVC Millionaire: Home Shopping Queen Tara McConnell On How To Talk To Customers