by Larry Henry, VNS Columnist
I was born in 1938. I remember WWII, seeing the soldiers on the street corners. My parents protected me and my sisters from the horrors of Germany and Japan.
In high school I had a shop teacher who survived the Bataan Death March. He was gray looking and never smiled. And a biology teacher that shook all the time from shell shock. We kids paid them no mind. They were oddities to be ridiculed and laughed at.
I had an uncle who followed Patton across Europe building roads and bridges. Uncle Clyde never spoke of the war. He was a quiet and reserved individual. CA Henry was with the Army Air Force in the Pacific and Korea. CA never mentioned the wars. Both are dead now.
Jack Marshal is still alive. We call each other once a month. He served on PT boats in the Pacific. Gordon Sams is ailing and nearing the end. He served on cargo ships at Iwo Jima and Okinawa.
Did novice Virginia Beach City Councilman Ben Davenport hit the Kickapoo Joy Juice before Thursday night's city Council budget hearing or does he not know what racism is when he hears it?
In his libertarian attack on the city's proposed budget, former City Councilman Robert K. Dean, in his speech,(balance of which had to be delivered by another citizen because of time restraints, stated. among other things: See Dean’s complete statement
“And Mrs. Hammond? (A staunch, but under-educated supporter of the Folly Trolley) What is it about this light rail proposal that makes it so finger-licking good?
“Is it the 40 percent cost-overruns? Or the fact that it will absolutely NOT reduce traffic congestion? Let me repeat that. No reduction in traffic congestion. And before the first shovel of dirt is turned, you have already thrown away a minimum of just under $50 million dollars that has to be figured into the capital cost of the project.”
Now we know that current state delegate and former Councilman Ron Villanueva was selected by Virginia News Source as one of the dumbest councilmen in Virginia Beach when he stuck out his chest trying to act intellectual and asked the police chief (about a murder case) if he had interviewed the victim. The police chief answered, "Mr. Villanueva, the victim was dead!) For that he was one of the first recipients of VNS’ "Dumb Ass of the Week Award.”
Davenport is now in the running for a council ‘DAW Award’. According to Dean, Davenport became agitated ... went ballistic charging 'finger-licking' was a blatantly racist remark... The Council youngster obviously didn't know anything about the KFC marketing slogan, its orgin and its useage in the world.
His nonsensical tirade caused Mayor Will (who refuses to deny he has used the word “NIGGER” in conversations) Sessoms to bring down the gavel and ’shush’ Lil Ben, telling him to be quiet and sit-down.
Dean was dumbfounded. Unable to understand what triggered the outburst. He couldn't comprehend what Lil' Ben was trying to say about racism …
by Larry Henry - VNS Columnist
“He alone who owns the youth, gains the future.” Adolf Hitler
How many tenured professors at UT indoctrinate their students with Karl Marx and Vladimir Lenin? You’ll find the Communist Manifesto on their reading lists.
You will not find the Federalist Papers there. Only progressive communist ideology is taught.
“The rich aren’t paying their fair share.” Barack Obama
Top 1% pays over 20% of all tax revenues. Top 10% pays 68%. Top 50% pays 97%. The bottom 50%, the ones on welfare and government handouts, pay only 3%.
“It’s Bush’s fault.” Barack Obama.
Nobody ever said the Virginia Beach voters are smart.
In fact the Virginia Beach city Council thinks they are downright stupid - why else would they be able to raise the property tax rate from $.87 to a dollar $1.22 in 10 years without protest?
Now the Council plans to raise it another six cents per $100 assessed value to finance fiscal mismanagement and to help bail Norfolk out of its financially crippling, money-losing and unsuccessful ‘Fraim’s Folly' – – AKA Norfolk light rail system.
And have you heard any grumbling from the taxpayers? No!
VNS columnist Bob O'Connor looks at this display of citizen stupidity in his most recent column entitled "Easy Pickin’s.” Click here to see: O'Connor's 'Easy Pickin's' for an insight into stupidity of beach taxpayers.
By Chris Kettner, Virginia News Source Columnist
In my first column for the VA News Source, I thought it would be proper to write about a subject that my radio show is based upon...That would bring me to “The Coin”.
I, for one, have had enough with terms like Red, Blue, Liberal, Conservative, Radical Right, Radical Left, Republican, and Democrat. Whatever happened to the term American?
As an Independent, I have come to realize that our great country has no chance for continued success until we as a nation stop dividing the country based on labels.
Once a person adopts a label for themselves, they have doomed themselves to becoming a follower of that label or group. They surrender the God-given ability to think for themselves. They become nothing more than followers… mindless robots, regurgitating the labels’ talking points.
I submit to you, kind reader, that if all Americans were to throw away the labels and actually look at both sides of the issues, they would find a little truth on both sides of the coin.
I further submit to you, that armed with that knowledge, you would at least have a better understanding of both sides of the coin.
by Tom Holmes
I share with you the following note to a friend regarding the attitudes of the Obama Administration toward our men and women in uniform:
You and I have children who served in Iraq, so we have a particular perspective on what it is like to send a child off into the field of battle. My son's USMC unit was activated prior to hostilities, mid-term, second semester of his senior year at Ole Miss, but he never once complained. Spent his birthday that year rolling across the desert from Kuwait into Iraq.
by John P.Kuchta Jr. - VNS Columnist
A man has to helplessly watch a pack of coyotes tearing a live, new-born calf apart to realize that cattle and coyotes don't mix. Sometimes, the culprits are hopelessly out-of-range. For many decades, coyotes were not a part of the Virginia landscape; but, now they are found in every corner of the state.
As a consequence of their taste for beef and wild game that we enjoy, we shoot coyotes on sight out on the farm in Suffolk, VA, where we hunt turkeys, bear and deer. If by chance we are able to see where the coyotes are dening, we're not above throwing poisoned baits near the mouth of the den. If you think that you've wiped them out, soon other coyotes will sense the territory is available and move their clan in to fill the vacancy. I guess that's just nature's way, the strong hoping to pray on the weak. CLICK 'READ MORE' BELOW FOR REST OF THE STORY ...
by John P. Kuchta Jr. - VNS Columnist
- White Rabbit - song of drugs, sex, and rock & roll, communes, war protesters, dropping out - Does it still apply?
- A Govt. of 'Goofballs' trying to be global leaders
- 4 simple sentences sum-up 10,535 pages of Obama Care
- No 'Cruz'in' for this reader
- Obama ...the Zero Man
- Kerry calls 'Death to America" by Iran progress?
- Growth Hormone May Lower Odds of Fractures in Older Women
- False-Positive Mammogram Result Traumatic for Most Women: Study
- Scientists Probe Obesity's Ties to Breast Cancer Risk
- Women's Pelvic Pain Often Unreported
- Hysterectomy at Younger Age Tied to Heart Disease Risks
- Your Office Temperature Settings May Have a Gender Bias
- Vaginal Pain
- For Women, No Link Between Kidney Stones, Osteoporosis
- Gardasil (HPV Vaccine)
- Change in 'Pap' Test Rules Linked to Drop in STD Testing
- Starry stonewort and other aliens invading US lakes
- Wall Street ends August on down note
- Cyclones in the Persian Gulf?! New climate study says it could happen.
- Dynamic duo: Twin black holes fuel quasar closest to Earth
- Obama's Clean Water Act rule faces deepening opposition
- Denali switch: Was President McKinley mountain-worthy?
- Why Ben Carson is surging
- Why getting into a good college doesn't level playing field
- No settlement in 'Deflategate.' Judge to rule this week
- How Hungary's crackdown is forcing migrants to make hard choices
- Official: Turkish court orders British journalists arrested
- Alaska-bound, Obama renames America's tallest peak
- State Dept. to release 7,000 pages of emails, 150 censored
- Legal experts see no criminal trouble for Clinton thus far
- Grenade explodes during Ukraine clashes; 1 officer killed
- EU struggles for answers as migrant influx raises tensions
- Afghan Taliban offer leader's biography amid power struggle
- Suspect in ambush of Houston-area deputy held without bond
- Supremacist convicted of killing 3 at Kansas Jewish sites
- A look at the slaying of suburban Houston sheriff's deputy
- Philomena Lee Follows Her Movie's Footsteps in Washington
- After Construction, Keystone XL Will Only Support 50 Jobs, Report Says
- Box May Have Filed Secretly for Initial Public Offering
- More States Seek to Repeal Common Core
- Hold On to the Thin Mints, CookieCott 2014 Encourages Conservatives to Stay Away from Girl...
- Kirsten Gillibrand Slams Sexual Assault Panel's Decision on Commander's Role
- With Bruno Mars' Halftime Show, Has the Super Bowl Finally Gotten Over Nipplegate?
- State Department Keystone Pipeline Report Finds Little Impact on Carbon Emissions
- Another Cruise Ship Docks Early After Gastrointestinal Outbreak
- New Peanut Therapy Alters DNA
- How to Fix 3 Retirement-Savings Flaws
- 7 Hidden Costs of College
- Great Vanguard ETFs
- What You Need to Know About Enrolling in Medicare
- Social Security Strategy: Boost Lifetime Payouts With the Spousal Benefit
- 3 Cars You Can Drive Forever
- Merck: A Great Dividend Stock for Retirees
- Reasons You Will Never Get Out of Debt
- Guide to Protecting Yourself from 5 Types of Identity Theft
- 13 Things College Students Don't Need