BREAKING NEWS: THE VIRGINIA SUPREME COURT OVERTURNS TOLLS RULING:
In a surprise ruling against the anti-toll foes of Tidewater, the Virginia Supreme Court Thursday morning ruled that a Portsmouth judge erred in a decision declaring the Feb. tolls on the two tunnels linking Norfolk and Portsmouth unconstitutional taxation.
The ruling disappointed a lot of people who felt the legislation as drafted constituted illegal authority for a private entity to level taxes for more than then next 50 years without local or legislative input or control.
The Supremes disagreed, ruling the tolls are user fees, not taxes. A negative ruling would have cost the state considerable money since the contract for new facilities have been let and work started.
BREAKING NEWS: SUPREME’S RULE THE STATE WAS NOT NEGLIGENT IN MASSACRE SUIT:
Atty. Gen. Ken Cuccinelli issued a statement saying, “While words cannot express the tremendous sympathy we have for the families who lost their loved ones in the Virginia Tech shootings of 2007 -- including the Prydes and the Petersons -- the Virginia Supreme Court has found what we have said all along to be true: The commonwealth and its officials at Virginia Tech were not negligent on April 16, 2007. Cho was the lone person responsible for this tragedy."
Families of victims sought to prove negligent on the part of school and state officials.
by Cmdr. Michael Joseph Walsh, USN SEAL Retired
Special to Virginia News Source
[Editor's Note:Cmdr. Walsh is author of "SEAL!: From Vietnam's Phoenix Program to Central America's Drug Wars."]
This is Part 2 of Cmdr. Walsh's response to a recently posed question in the Special Operations Warrior blog with regard to the militarization of the Police in the Unityed States.
Then, when it was all over, both state and local police patrolled the night streets, doing the ‘officer friendly’ routine, waving and smiling at everyone. I understand this, have used it previously. Good PR. What is disappointing in all this is that people fed into it, by feeling relieved it was over…..I can now walk the streets, unarmed, feeling safe, and most of all, I’m no longer inconvenienced. We must grow out of this notion of deliberate self-emasculation; this is critical to societal recovery, particularly amongst men.
We must not despair…..we have been here before. It is not only in our history…it is in our very DNA, to oppose such belligerence. In the end, it must, and will be…confronted. Those of us, who have dwelt in the UW world, know how such brute force can be defeated, if need be. Such oppressive philosophies and tactics upon a citizenry will eventually backfire. It starts with courage. (CONT'D next page)
by John P. Kuchta Jr.
The Baptist radicals must be dealt with. They are building their churches all over the country, organizing the youth and pledging to destroy western culture. The latest advice, that they may be behind the threat to Wichita's water supply, is no surprise to many of us who remain vigilant. See: FBI Investigate possible threat to Witchata's water supply
What is their mission? They want everybody to become a Baptist! They are committed to a system of laws and enforcement based on Baptist beliefs and they feel that the laws of the western civil authorities must be subordinated to their legal system.
The Baptists have infiltrated into the highest echelons of the HSA and TSA, relying on big cash contributions to our political class; and, many of those politicians are located right here in Virginia. It doesn't seem to matter that many of the feeder organizations in their overall jihad effort were named by a federal judge as "unindicted co-conspirators" in a terror trial in Dallas. Despite that announcement, the "Big Money Men" within the ranks of the Baptists have been invited to dinner at the White House; and, they have had enough influence to have had all reference to the "Baptist Jihad" removed from FBI training materials.
by Cmdr Michael Joseph Walsh, USN retired
Author SEAL!: From Vietnam's Phoenix Program to Central America's Drug Wars
This is a response to the Question recently posed in the Special Operations Warrior blog through Linked-In with regard to the Militarization of Police in the United States.
These days it appears the majority of the planet is polarizing in one form or fashion. At home we find ourselves in very troubles waters. With regard to the Militarization of the Police in the Unites States, the People should require an informative discussion, one which is seriously overdue for discourse at the national level.
When the Founders conspired to free themselves from the yoke of British tyranny, they pledged themselves to an extra-ordinary standard…namely, their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor.
One need only look at The Congress, and the actions of the White House Executive to see where notions of sacred honor have gone. In short, the Founders would not approve of what is going on here, vis-à-vis the Militarization of a Police Force, nor would they approve our other notions of Empire. They would be repulsed at this. These affronts were but a sampling of the ingredients leading up to the Revolutionary War.
Recall that standing armies and large police forces were anathema to the Founders; and these things were hotly discussed in the Congress in Philadelphia, New York, and Washington. It was the high character of George Washington himself, which shaped much of our value system and national character.
The pervasive result of the outcome of the Civil War means that the dichotomous paths of thought and belief were decided by the point of a gun, as was the Revolution.
I find it difficult to understand how all of the parks and monuments that were closed during the government shutdown had professionally made signs posted within hours after the shutdown began.
The normal government procurement system would take weeks, if not months, to award the contracts to purchase the custom-designed signs seen at all the closed sites.
It has been 17 years since the last shutdown, so there wouldn’t be signs just laying around for use on a moment’s notice.
It appears that someone planned on shutting down the government many months ago. It would be interesting to have someone look into who ordered the signs and see where that trail leads. Just wondering.
Herb Craig - Las Vegas
With so much happening it is easy for some issues to get overlooked. Such as the plan of the globalists to merge America with other countries into regional arrangements which start out being economic (such as NAFTA) but which progress into a political regional government (such as EU) which can then be merged into the United Nations.
Packaged as a great sounding trade agreement, the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) is one such scheme. It is sold as a means of improving trade, but it is nothing less than a means of transferring regulations and trade decisions from American control to a foreign governing body. A merger of the U.S. with the EU is the ultimate goal.
Michael Thompson, President of the Thomas Jefferson Institute for Public Policy, urged the General Assembly on Friday to restructure the tax code in Virginia in a revenue neutral way that could create tens of thousands of jobs.
The Small Business and the Manufacturing Development Commissions held their 4th public hearing on the Jefferson Institute's tax reform idea in Charlottesville on Oct. 17. Thompson testified for the second time to these Commissions on his tax restructuring idea.
This tax restructuring would expand the collection of sales taxes to the service industries except for health care. These additional funds would then be used to reduce and eliminate personal taxes and three business taxes seen as harming employment.
By John P. Kuchta Jr.
That's a great article from Investors Business Daily that accurately summarizes the firing of some of this nation's key military leaders; however, I take exception with the concluding sentence.
The author's concluding statement might lead the casual reader to assume that Obama was simply emasculating the military to get rid of any "Rambo-type" characters from the ranks. I believe that it is far more sinister than that.
I firmly believe that the military is being gutted to open the ranks to some "new school," Obama disciples who WILL FIREON US CITIZENS when ordered to do so. Think about the fact that the entire chain-of-command of the US Army bent over and grabbed their ankles when the Obama administration ordered them to call the attack at Fort Hood an act of work place violence.
This beautiful painted male bunting - captured at feeder in Kings Grant this week. Mary Reid Barrow, my bird expert in residence, said this is a little north of this species range. But we were happy to provide him some seeds and help him on his way
- Denver Global Products Recalls Multi-Purpose Yard Vehicles Due to Laceration, Fire Hazards; Sold Exclusively at...
- Wearever Girl’s Hooded Jacket Sets Recalled by David’s Place Due to Strangulation Hazard; Sold Exclusively...
- Manhattan Group Recalls Baby Rattles Due to Choking Hazard
- SRAM Recalls Derailleurs for Bicycles Due to Fall Hazard
- K2 Sports Recalls Kickboards/Scooters Due to Fall Hazard
- L&F International Trade Recalls Renovated Mattresses Due to Violation of Federal Mattress Flammability Standard
- Crown Boiler Recalls Home Heating Boilers Due to Carbon Monoxide Hazard
- American Boy and Girl Recalls Infant Sandals Due to Choking Hazard; Sold Exclusively at Meijer...
- Little Willy’s Recalls Hooded Sweatshirts Due to Strangulation Hazard
- Burley Design Recalls Tailwind Racks for Trailercycles Due to Fall Hazard
Quote OF THE DAY
"If an 80-year-old woman or a three-year-old girl who is confined to a wheelchair can be strip-searched by the TSA at the airport, but a woman in a burka or a hijab is only subject to having her neck and head searched - you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots."
From the Internet
- Uterine Growths
- Pregnancy After Miscarriage
- PTSD Might Lead to Sizable Weight Gain in Women
- Use of Breast MRIs Way Up, Studies Find
- Urine Tests Don't Always Confirm Urinary Infections, Study Finds
- Time of Month May Affect Women's Concussion Recovery
- Poorer Women Delay Examination of Breast Lumps, Study Suggests
- Health Tip: Performing a Breast Self-Exam
- Two Pesticides Tied to Higher Risk of Gynecological Disorder
- Will iPhone sales grow Apple's footprint in China?
- For the Ukraine: 'The door to the EU remains open'
- Rockefeller Center Christmas tree lighting dazzles millions
- Newtown 911 calls released: Superintendent warns of 'emotional trigger'
- Hubble finds water on 5 planets, heralding new era in search for other Earths
- Hijacked radioactive material found in Mexico. How dangerous was it?
- Who should be at table for Syria peace talks? UN seeks longer invite list.
- Paul Walker crash could 'romanticize' growing street racing culture (+video)
- Sandy Hook 911 tapes: You can listen to them, but should you? (+video)
- Teachers union chief offers four steps to boost US results on PISA test
- Car bomb hits Yemen's Defense Ministry, killing 18
- 16 dead in fighting in C. African Republic capital
- 10 Things to Know for Today
- NY train wreck could be case of highway hypnosis
- Mexico plans how to safely box up recovered cobalt
- BP pushes technical limits to tap extreme fields
- Shrugging off winter's bite in N. Dakota oilfields
- Pearl Harbor survivor thrives meeting visitors
- Growing trend for 2014: Orchid as top color
- Legal fate of FSU quarterback to be answered
- U.S. Considers Pushing Karzai Aside for Drawdown Deal
- Tracking Santa? Google Has an App for That
- The Method Behind Newsweek's Back-to-the-Presses Madness
- Sunny Obama: Terror of Toddlers
- Pentagon Troubled China Operates Unilaterally
- Despite Diversity Pushes, Minority Faculty Underrepresented in Medical Schools
- House Leaders Propose Telecom Law Rewrite
- Poll: One in Four Americans To Choose Fine Over Obamacare
- Chilling 911 Tapes From Sandy Hook Shooting Released
- Obama: Greater Mobility 'the Defining Challenge of Our Time'
- August 19, 2013 (Investigation Update) Multistate Outbreak of Human Salmonella Typhimurium Infections Linked to Live...
- August 9, 2013 (Investigation Update) Multistate Outbreak of Human Salmonella Typhimurium Infections Linked to Live...
- July 18, 2013 (Investigation Update) Multistate Outbreak of Human Salmonella Infections Linked to Live Poultry
- July 10, 2013 (Final Update) Multistate Outbreak of Salmonella Heidelberg Infections Linked to Chicken
- (Investigation Update) Multistate Outbreak of Human Salmonella Typhimurium Infections Linked to Live Poultry
- June 21, 2013 (Final Update) Multistate Outbreak of Salmonella Montevideo and Salmonella Mbandaka Infections Linked...
- June 20, 2013 (Final Update) Multistate Outbreak of Salmonella Saintpaul Infections Linked to Imported Cucumbers
- June 14, 2013 (Final Update) Multistate Outbreak of Human Salmonella Typhimurium Infections Linked to Hedgehogs
- (Investigation Update) Multistate Outbreak of Human Salmonella Typhimurium Infections Linked to Live Poultry
- (Investigation Update) Multistate Outbreaks of Human Salmonella Infections Linked to Live Poultry
- Year-End Financial To-Do List
- Career and Job-Search Advice From Around the Web
- Interest Rates and the Real Unemployment Rate
- How to Stick to Your New Year's Resolutions
- Choose the Right Long-Term-Care Facility for Your Parents
- 4 Key End-of-Life Documents to Get in Order
- Best and Worst Buys of December 2013
- How the Government Shutdown Might Affect the Filing of Your 2013 Tax Return
- 7 Stocks to Buy for Gains in 2014
- 5 Tips to Get a Long-Term-Care Insurer to Pay Up
- Initial Announcement: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157:H7 Infections Linked to Ready-to-Eat Salads
- May 30, 2013 [Final Update]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O121 Infections Linked...
- May 10, 2013 [Investigative Update]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O121 Infections Linked...
- April 26, 2013 [Investigative Update]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O121 Infections Linked...
- April 5, 2013 [Investigative Update]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O121 Infections Linked...
- March 29, 2013 [Initial Announcement]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O121 Infections Linked...
- December 10, 2012 [Final Announcement]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga Toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157:H7 Infections
- November 17, 2012 [Initial Announcement]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga Toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157:H7 Infections
- July 20, 2012 (Final Update): Multistate Outbreak of Shiga Toxin-producing Escherichia coli O145 Infections
- June 22, 2012 (Investigation Update): Multistate Outbreak of Shiga Toxin-producing Escherichia coli O145 Infections