By Tom Holmes
Contributor to Virginia News Source
OK, I'm tired of all the Pilgrim and "first" Thanksgiving crap. We celebrated Thanksgiving in the South before those immigrant religious zealots ever got lost and stumped their toe at Plymouth Rock. I am talking about the first official Thanksgiving held in Virginia, by the way.
OK, so they may have had one earlier down in St. Augustine in fifteen something or other, but it didn't really catch on, did it? It also didn't lead to the formation of a myth and totally new race of people. So, here goes:
Yes, we had a good thing going in Ol' Virginny long before the arrival of those happy-go-lucky (not!) Pilgrims. Should have learned our lesson about immigration control right then and there, but noooo. Allowed them to stay and, thus, began the Mayflower Myth and eventual formation of a new race of people known as "damnyankees." In my humble opinion, this was the first great mistake in the development of what was to become the United States of America.
by Thomas Pastore
Special to VNS
On the eve of this Thanksgiving, over 100 illegal's (openly), came over the California border, in defiance of our Laws, throwing rocks at our Border Patrols, demanding entrance. In open fashion, without regard for our Laws, more and more are we seeing Illegal activity viewed as "justified" by people who (mainly) come from a country that would have shot or arrested them for the exact activities they "get away with" in a once proud country called America. Throughout this Land there are protestors compiled of Illegal's and their (accessory), supporters demanding that America grant them some sought of Amnesty for their Crimes. These protests, combined with the Weak Leadership that now composes America's government have those in Congress talking of "Reforms". Reforms are merely another way of saying that Congress and the alleged-one who is called "President", refuse to enforce the Laws of America, and in-fact are in violation of their very Oath of Office. They Fail to protect America, they fail to protect our Tax-dollars, with all the social welfare dollars Illegal's drain from our State and Federal budgets, and they fail to protect our right to seek work, as Illegal's now take jobs far more valuable then the so-called (jobs that we don't want), Myth that many want you to believe.
Americas' Government has decided to embrace these openly defiant, violators of our Laws. Strangers from other countries with NO sense of Loyalty to these United States. Selfish individuals who have chosen to leave their Families behind to make money, instead of staying in their country and attempt to make their country a better place for all of their people. After-all, isn't that the history of America, when we chose to stand up to the Monarchy of Great Britain, and fought and Died for our right to a better life? Why do we Not emphasize to these Illegal's to go back home and do what we did?
by John P. Kuchta Jr. VNS Columnist Jihadists killed while working on explosives in a mosque? No way, Jose! It must have been a Lutheran church and the reporter got it all wrong. In no way should an incident like this in a far-flung corner of the globe cause us to consider if jihadists are working on explosives in our US Lutheran churches. But, if an investigation would be prove beyond a reasonable doubt that such goings-on were taking place in our Lutheran churches, the proper course of action would be to raid said churches at 0300 some Sunday morning, arrest and try anyone found to be in possession of illegal weapons, explosives or ammo and dispatch quick, Old West-style justice. As usual, I'll buy the rope! Hey, Eric Holder, can I get an amen? (See: Afghanistan: Seven jihadis killed in mosque when mines they were making explode prematurely)
Here is a simple question everyone is avoiding but the answer is obvious: How stupid are the American people?
On October 30, 2008 Barack Obama said, "We are five days from fundamentally transforming the United States of America." And so the stupidest people in the world (oops! I gave away the answer) voted for a man who said he was effectively going to throw away the United States of America and replace it with......what? He didn't say. Well, how stupid is that? Think about it. On July four, 1776 the Representatives of the United States of America declared the intentions of the people to fundamentally transform the British Colonies in North America.
by John P. Kuchta Jr.
The following this article which details the goof-up's during the Clinton administration in the war against terror when anti-terror officials completely disregarded intel that put Muslim jihadists behind plans to hijack airliners.
Does that Clinton era attitude differ at all from today's FBI being warned twice by the Russians that the Tsarnaev brothers were up to no good in Boston? What do these FBI guys do to become so ineffective? How do you train to ignore the obvious?
Exclusively for VNS by Tom McElvy, Virginia Beach
Here in these United States, we are a nation of law... from the Constitution to the local ordinance, these laws are here to help maintain an orderly society. Not everyone likes all of them, which is why we have a government to work with the people in changing and/or modifying these laws as necessary.
It is becoming increasingly clear that the person inhabiting the White House has no respect for this country, the people of this country, and the laws of this great republic, which he swore to uphold. Obama is now showing his true colors - and one that scares me the most is his, and his administrations’ selective enforcement of the laws of this great republic.
“It’s the law of the land,” according to Obama and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, whenever confronted about the (Un)affordable Care Act. So, let’s extrapolate from there. From that statement, we can rest assured that the Legislative and Executive branches will follow those very laws.
For the most part I appreciate the Dr. Footsie cartoons, subject matter and presentation, but I think VNS should get away from the toilet humor. There are too many other ways your cartoonist to stay on the ‘edge’ of major issues without resorting to ‘fecal funnies.’
Brandon Clinton Chesapeake
by Chris Braunlich
Thomas Jefferson Institute
"One-Stop-Shopping" Website Announced for
Education Improvement Scholarship Tax Credit
The Thomas Jefferson Institute for Public Policy today released a new website designed to assist Virginians in taking advantge of the new "Virginia Education Improvement Scholarships Tax Credit."
Located at www.vataxcreditscholarship.com, the website is designed to be a "one-stop-shopping" website to help parents interested in finding a scholarship for their child, donors in identifying potential scholarship foundations to support, and schools in determining how to work to receive students with such scholarships.
Taking effect for the first time in January 2013, Virginia Education Improvement Scholarship Tax Credit works much like similar programs in 12 other states, where more than 150, 000 children are helped to receive a better education.
- PackTite Recalls Bed Bug Heating Units Due to Fire Hazard
- Gas Trimmers Recalled by efco Due to Fire Hazard
- Toro Recalls TimeMaster and TurfMaster Lawn Mowers Due To Injury Hazard
- Exmark Recalls Commercial Walk-Behind Mowers Due to Injury Hazard
- Linear Recalls Personal Emergency Reporting System Transmitters Due to Battery Signal Failure
- Academy Sports + Outdoors Recalls Girls BCG Hooded Windsuits Due to Strangulation Hazard
- Denver Global Products Recalls Multi-Purpose Yard Vehicles Due to Laceration, Fire Hazards; Sold Exclusively at...
- Wearever Girl’s Hooded Jacket Sets Recalled by David’s Place Due to Strangulation Hazard; Sold Exclusively...
- Manhattan Group Recalls Baby Rattles Due to Choking Hazard
- SRAM Recalls Derailleurs for Bicycles Due to Fall Hazard
Quote OF THE DAY
If a seven-year-old boy can be thrown out of school for saying his teacher is "cute," but hosting a sexual exploration or diversity class in grade school is perfectly acceptable - you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.
"Human government is more or less perfect as it approaches nearer or diverges farther from the imitation of this perfect plan of divine and moral government."
--John Adams, draft of a Newspaper Communication, 1770
- Viagra for Menstrual Cramps?
- Obesity, Smoking Might Threaten Implants After Mastectomy
- Less Physical Activity, More TV for Today's Moms, Study Finds
- Uterine Growths
- Pregnancy After Miscarriage
- PTSD Might Lead to Sizable Weight Gain in Women
- Use of Breast MRIs Way Up, Studies Find
- Urine Tests Don't Always Confirm Urinary Infections, Study Finds
- An equine sense of place
- Obamas and Bushes share a plane to Mandela's memorial
- Marine's body shipped home without heart, say angry parents
- Palin SUV: Town sells Palin's mayoral SUV for $8K above its value
- Adam Sandler and Katherine Heigl are 'most-overpaid' actors, says Forbes
- Two-year budget deal struck: what you need to know
- Iran nuclear deal: Facing tough crowd in Congress, Kerry pleads for time
- Kids leave Facebook as parents spoil the fun
- Tea Party candidate to challenge Texas Republican Sen. John Cornyn (+video)
- Top states for electric cars. Where does yours rank?
- GOP, Obama line up behind modest budget deal
- Mandela ceremony interpreter called a 'fake'
- Ukraine police stand down after protest grows
- 10 Things to Know for Today
- World leaders bow, pray at Nelson Mandela's casket
- Behind eulogies, US deeply conflicted on Mandela
- AP-GfK poll: Low approval of Congress, Obama
- NTSB to review Asiana crash at hearing Wednesday
- GM CEO known for approachability, effectiveness
- Uruguay OK's first national market for legal pot
- Murray, Ryan Negotiate Bipartisan Budget Deal
- Siemens Rewards High School Students for STEM Research
- Supreme Court Opens Door for Online Sales Tax Loophole
- 'Top Chefs' Tom Colicchio, Mike Isabella Tout Food Policy Scorecard
- John Kerry Urges Congress for Leeway on Iranian Negotiations
- Obama Commits Faux Pas at Mandela's Memorial Service
- Conservative Groups Trash Emerging Budget Deal
- Federal Reserve Shows Household Wealth Recovering
- Hour of Code Initiative Engages Middle School Girls in Computer Science
- Colin Powell Endorses Single-Payer Health Care
- August 19, 2013 (Investigation Update) Multistate Outbreak of Human Salmonella Typhimurium Infections Linked to Live...
- August 9, 2013 (Investigation Update) Multistate Outbreak of Human Salmonella Typhimurium Infections Linked to Live...
- July 18, 2013 (Investigation Update) Multistate Outbreak of Human Salmonella Infections Linked to Live Poultry
- July 10, 2013 (Final Update) Multistate Outbreak of Salmonella Heidelberg Infections Linked to Chicken
- (Investigation Update) Multistate Outbreak of Human Salmonella Typhimurium Infections Linked to Live Poultry
- June 21, 2013 (Final Update) Multistate Outbreak of Salmonella Montevideo and Salmonella Mbandaka Infections Linked...
- June 20, 2013 (Final Update) Multistate Outbreak of Salmonella Saintpaul Infections Linked to Imported Cucumbers
- June 14, 2013 (Final Update) Multistate Outbreak of Human Salmonella Typhimurium Infections Linked to Hedgehogs
- (Investigation Update) Multistate Outbreak of Human Salmonella Typhimurium Infections Linked to Live Poultry
- (Investigation Update) Multistate Outbreaks of Human Salmonella Infections Linked to Live Poultry
- FAQs on Our Public College Rankings
- How We Ranked the Top Public Colleges
- A Gift-Giving Guide for the Truly Broke
- Retailers With Generous Return Policies
- Don't Forget to Take Your IRA Required Distribution
- Get Free Shipping on Online Holiday Purchases
- An Overdue Overhaul of U.S. Spy Agencies
- Last-Minute Moves to Protect Your Home from Winter Storms
- Best European Stocks to Buy Now
- What the Rush of Money into Stock Funds Means
- Initial Announcement: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157:H7 Infections Linked to Ready-to-Eat Salads
- May 30, 2013 [Final Update]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O121 Infections Linked...
- May 10, 2013 [Investigative Update]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O121 Infections Linked...
- April 26, 2013 [Investigative Update]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O121 Infections Linked...
- April 5, 2013 [Investigative Update]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O121 Infections Linked...
- March 29, 2013 [Initial Announcement]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O121 Infections Linked...
- December 10, 2012 [Final Announcement]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga Toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157:H7 Infections
- November 17, 2012 [Initial Announcement]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga Toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157:H7 Infections
- July 20, 2012 (Final Update): Multistate Outbreak of Shiga Toxin-producing Escherichia coli O145 Infections
- June 22, 2012 (Investigation Update): Multistate Outbreak of Shiga Toxin-producing Escherichia coli O145 Infections